Criteria for Workshop Levels
- BEGINNER LAP -- Players will learn tuning, fret
numbering, strumming patterns, other basic skills, useful
hints and simple melodies to help them get started. Only
true beginners should take this course.
- NOVICE LAP--Players should understand numbering of
the frets and reading of tablature (or play by ear), be able to
tune the instrument themselves, and be able to strum.
- INTERMEDIATE LAP--Players should understand
chord positions for basic chording as part of the melody or
in playing backup. They should be able to easily read
tablature (or play by ear) and understand hammer ons and
- ADVANCED LAP--Players will be exposed to complex
song arrangements. Participants should be completely
familiar with chord configuration all along the fret board.
These classes will proceed at a pace at the instructor's
discretion, so you will need to be advanced enough to keep
up with the instruction.
- NOVICE HAMMERED -- Players should be familiar
with the layout of the instrument, and be ready to learn
techniques of hammer use and chords.
- INTERMEDIATE HAMMERED--Players should be
able to play many tunes (up to speed) from memory and are
beginning to embellish and arrange.
- ADVANCED HAMMERED--Players should be very
familiar with chord structure, are confident with embellishing
and arranging, and feel comfortable that they can "keep up"!!